Wednesday, November 28

"Lessons Well Worth Learning..."

Defining the difference between a dog and a cat... "A dog thinks it is a member of the family. A cat thinks the family is the hired help!" I've got nothing against cats. We have two. The older is very affectionate, liking nothing better than to be rubbed vigorously 24/7. So needy for affection is she that neither I nor Judi can close the bathroom door for some cordial privacy that "Sweetpea" isn't butting her head on the outside of the door demanding to be admitted. "Wait your turn!," I tell her, but to no avail. The younger, Callie, on the other hand, could care less if anyone gives her a sideways look. She is contented to wile away the hours sitting on the dinning room window sill watching the world go by from sun up to sun down. Only after Judi climbs into bed to call it a night will she cuddle next to her for a little personal attention. I'm not sure if Callie dislikes me or indeed thinks I'm just the hired help. I nevertheless get the distinct impression that she regards me as a non-person. I think she may have learned that behavior from my daughter...after I've told her "No" in regards to something she really wants to do, go or buy. Megan, however, refuses to sit on the widow sill.

Like I said, I like cats, but I really like dogs. Our last dog, Cubby, passed away a little over two years ago. I still miss him. I wanted another dog. I was outvoted...one to zero. Cats came into our lives because Judi decided that another dog was going to be too time consuming. Cats, on the other hand, she assured me, "pretty much take care of themselves." I consented...as long as their taking care of themselves didn't involve me. I figured that was a fair compromise. So far so good.

I like dogs because if you really allow yourself to observe their individual personalities, they can teach you so many valuable life lessons. A friend sent me the following, a dissertation on lessons dogs can teach we humans. I concur wholeheartedly.

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up an opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

When it is in your best interest, practice obedience.

Let others know when they have invaded your territory.

Take naps & stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play a little every day.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will suffice.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shade tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

No matter how often you may be scolded. don't buy into the guilt thing and pout,

but run back and make friends.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.

Be forever loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you most want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

I can't add to that list of living life well, nor should I. It is only for me to emulate as a human what a dog does so naturally....and to believe that if there are animals in heaven that I wouldn't be surprised to see a faithful dog lying in an honored spot beneath the throne of God. As for cats, I hope there are plenty of window sills.

No comments: