Wednesday, December 12

"You Want What For Christmas!?!"

I came upon my dear wife's Christmas gift wish list a couple of evenings ago. It was conspicuously placed on the computer's keyboard...hard to miss. The list of "I would like" wasn't that extensive, but what it lacked in length was certainly made up for by the potential price tag that could be incurred if each gift is purchased.



There were the usual requests along the line of perfumes, soaps, and other toiletry items. Piece of cake. One stop at Bed, Bath & Beyond and I'm basically through with my gift giving list for another Christmas. Of course I do make it an enjoyable habit to try and always purchase a few gifts that don't make her list...usually a few well chosen items of high quality lingerie. Similar items along this line that she otherwise usually purchases for herself is, in a word, functional. The prudish Pilgrim women-folk would be so proud of her choices. Admittedly, I have ulterior motives for my more provocative (I'm not talking sleazy, folks) selections. So, sue me!




Anyway...once my eyes moved past her request for a new terry-cloth bathrobe and slippers, I came upon the gift "suggestions" that gave me more than a few moments pause. "I would like an Ipod and a new laptop computer." My initial reaction was, "Well, I'd like to win the Florida lottery this week, but I don't think that's going to happen either!" So, I put the list aside and contemplated how I was going to be able to pull this off just short of adding an additional mortgage to my home? Then, as fate would have it, I received word that my employer would be awarding substantial employee bonuses this Christmas. H-m-m-m... Maybe I can make this happen...at least a goodly chunk of it.



So, I contacted daughter Megan and asked her advice as to the type of Ipod and laptop that would be of good quality, wouldn't overwhelm Mother with too much gadgetry, and wouldn't also break the bank. She gave me several good suggestions and promised that she would assist me in their purchase. Now all I have to do is wait until next week when I am scheduled to receive that substantial bonus to determine if my desire to surprise Judi on Christmas morning with something more exciting than a bar of soap and a new bra and panties measures up to available funding. If not, Bed, Bath & Beyond...here I come.

No comments: