Friday, January 25

"Wishing It Wasn't So..."

I have deliberately shied away from utilizing this blog to present my personal views on controversial social issues knowing that their mere introduction invokes too often heated derision rather than constructive dialogue. Still, the editorial "cartoon" at left touched a cord of remorse deep inside of me that compels me to comment.

On the most personal topic of abortion I hold the opinion that it is somewhat presumptuous of men to weight in on this subject with any degree of presumed authority when in fact the ultimate decision on whether to abstain or undergo this most invasive of procedures lies solely with the female. As much as I personally abhor abortion, I must nevertheless reluctantly concede that under the current law of the land a woman does indeed have a right to choose what she wishes to do with her own body. In my perfect world, I would wholeheartedly prefer that abortion be outlawed, believing that God-breathed life, however one wishes to define it, does begin a conception. But until the will of the people places their majority opinion in that camp, the law permitting abortion remains sadly in effect.


I am a proponent that personal rights are to be cherished and protected, permitting an individual to do whatever he or she wishes as long as it does not adversely affect the personal rights of others. Smoking, for instance. I smoke cigars. I enjoy smoking cigars. It is my right to smoke cigars, and if I choose to ignore the personal health risks, then I and I alone must suffer the consequence of exercising my free will that may or may not be the result. However, my right to smoke my cigars does not extend into the personal breathing space of other individuals who find smoking repulsive. The right thing for me to do is to understand and honor their right to be free of my cigar smoke by not subjecting them to the by-products of my habit. It is the right thing to do. It is common courtesy.


This may come as a shock to the more puritanical readers of this blog, but there are right this very minute people engaged in the act of sexual relations. More power to them. I would personally prefer that these so engaged couples are doing so within the bonds of matrimony, but I am not so naive to believe that is consistently and exclusively the case. Far too many couples couple outside of this state of bonding, as is evidenced by the recently reported increases in non-married co-habitation, teenage pregnancy, and the resulting increase in abortion. Solution? We pass a strict law that prohibits all non-married people from having sex. Right...that's going to happen...nor should it. What I am strongly urging, strongly wishing, hoping and praying for is that any female who engages in consentable sexual relations...who is exercising her personal right "to do with her body as she chooses," that she thinks first about whether her exercise in personal rights might inadvertently result in an unintended and unwanted pregnancy. My God, how much forethought does it take to assure that the pending act of passion will be free of the unwanted consequence of becoming pregnant? You don't want to have a baby? Do whatever it takes to prevent that occurrence. That's the right thing to do!


Moral issues aside, being a reasonable adult requires rational decisions. It's your body and you have a brain...use it! Unprotected sex is not only callously irresponsible and dangerous...it's stupid!!

No comments: