Thursday, January 10

"Snickers? Not So Much..."

Well, it appears, thus far, that my theory that fruit rats cannot pass up the opportunity to nibble on an offered Snickers candy bar is meeting with less than resounding success. Yesterday afternoon I baited five traps with this delectable morsel expecting to hear a resounding SNAP ! within mere minutes. I'm still waiting...



Upon returning form the college basketball game last night, Judi informed me that she had heard no further scratching nosies in the walls. "That's a good sign," I replied reassuringly. Five minutes later she is calling me to come to the bedroom. I entered the room to find three pairs of ears (Judi's and our two cats) cocked to the obvious scratching noises coming from the back of the bed.


"Listen," she said in a hushed voice.


"Yes, I hear it. Why are you whispering?" (That question was greeted with the look that every married man is quite familiar.)


"They're back!!"


"I don't think they ever left." (The look again.) "I'm not sure what we can do about them being in the walls. All of the traps are nine feet above them in the attic. We'll just have to wait them out."


"What do we do in the mean time?"


"Talk to your two cats. See if they have a solution." (Once again the look.)


Wishing to assuage Judi's obvious and understandable concern, I did my best to assure her that the chances of the critters getting out of the walls and into our living space, especially with out two cats on the prowl, would be very slim at best. Sweetpea and Calli remained ever vigilant throughout the night, constantly patrolling beneath the bed and pawing at the walls whenever they detected yet another sound that alerted to them that something was amiss. Judi slept through the night.



I climbed back up into the attic this morning to determine if during the night one or more of the baited traps had been sprung. Nope....still exactly where I placed each, fully cocked and armed for the kill. I'll give it a couple more days. Surely they can't keep passing up Snickers...can they? Perhaps this evening I'll put little signs in front of each trap with an arrow pointing to the candy. "This way boys for a bite-sized snack that is to die for!" I hate being outwitted by a rodent.

No comments: