Thursday, January 4

Leaving Footprints Along The Way...

"I think, therefore I am." The 17th Century philosopher Rene Descartes issued forth that pronouncement in an attempt to "explain it all." A Clintonian explanation of "it" seems in order. Taken at face value, one might assume that Descartes is attempting to define why mankind could and perhaps should elevate and, therefore, justify his existence above all other forms of life. Expressing this idea in another manner...as mankind has the ability to be introspective about his being, his essence, his person...that he can, to varying degrees, manipulate his environment and his place in it...man, therefore, is superior to all other life forms that have no such awareness or ability to alter their environments. If one is talking about an amoeba, that statement might have acceptable validity...discounting, on the other hand, the unique ability of say monkeys and dolphins to mimic, if not come close to mastering to a recognizable degree, these same traits. Being not an amoeba, nor a monkey or dolphin, I will accept Mr. Descartes' pronouncement on face value.
In the Old Testament book of Exodus, Moses encounters "God" in the form of a non-consuming burning bush. Reflecting the ever inquisitive nature of man, Moses asks, "Whom shall I say is calling?" The voice from the burning bush resounds (I assume He was resounding in His reply), "I am that I am." One might ask, "What kind of answer is that?" For God, it was and is the only answer that could be given. I am sure that the God of the universe and creator of same could have elaborated to a greater extent, but how does one properly and completely define the alpha and omega of all things? It's a bit like trying to define wind. Yes, words can be concocted to describe this physical phenomena, but in reality, wind is best defined through experience. The same with God. Sometimes the best answer is the simplest answer.
I offer the above matters of reflection to hopefully set the stage and premise as to why I would care to enter into this blogging enterprise. Simplest answer, "Because I can." Because I do regard myself as a unique person, so created by the same creator of the universe with the free will and ability to "think" for myself as to who I am and where I belong in this world, I wish, if for no other reason than to entertain myself on occasion, to impart reflections of a distant horizon so that I may leave a few personal footprints along the way...perhaps to also entertain and elevate other seekers of truthful introspection who may stumble upon this body of work.

No comments: