Thursday, January 11

God's Penny For Your Thoughts...

I have had the opportunity to previously tell the following story, and wishing to include it in my journal, I believe it worthy to share once again.

A very successful businessman had invited, as was his custom, several of his junior executives and their wives to spend as part of his annual Christmas celebrations a weekend at his country estate. The opulence was breath-taking and was equally complimented by the warm and inviting hospitality of the owner. The weekend festivities included a visit to one of the exclusive restaurants in the near by town, which had been reserved exclusively for the chief executive and his guests. All expenses were to be underwritten in full by the executive, telling each couple that no meal or beverage was to be excluded as perhaps being too expensive. The entourage was chauffeured to the restaurant in a fleet of sleek limousines. Upon arriving at the appointed destination, the executive exited from the lead car and proceeded to open the door for each car as it came to a stop at the curb, personally assisting each guest to his side. As the last couple collected their belongings and began to walk towards the restaurant's entrance, they noticed their host, who was a few steps ahead of them, bend down and pick up what appeared to be a shiny object from the ground. The young wife of the last couple was curious as to the identity of the object that the senior executive was turning over and over in his hands and gazing upon intently.

"What have you found, sir?" asked the young lady. Replied the gentleman, "It's a 1968 penny."
"Does the penny's date mean that it has some additional value?" the young lady further inquired. "No ma'am, it's only worth a penny." "Forgive me sir," followed up the lady, "and forgive me if I offend you, but you are no doubt a man of immeasureable means and wealth. Why would you be so intrigued by a single penny?" "I take no offense, my young friend. To say that I am not materially blessed beyond even my earliet ambitions to achieve, that would be the unforgiveable offence. But this single penny is of great worth to me far beyond its stamped value. All pennies, all coins and paper money of any demonination, for that matter, have greater worth aside from their printed exchange value. For if you look closely at each coin, there is a message from God on it. Do you know what that message is?" Hesitating, the young woman timidly ventured a guess, "In God we trust?" "Yes," said the gentleman, "but that's only part of the message. Those words, 'In God We Trust' are just God's way of getting our attention...to notice Him, if we only take the time." Said the woman, "I don't understand. What's the rest of the message?" Replied the executive, "Simply said it is God telling me 'Here I am. I am with you. You can trust me.' That's why whenever I spy a coin lying on the ground I always stop to pick it up, and I as I find those four words, I take the time to give thanks to my God for being here with me...for blessing me so abundantly...and His promise that no matter what, wealth today or poverty tomorrow, He will remains steadfastly by my side."
Having read that story many months ago, I too keep a faithful lookout for coins on the ground. And when I come across one, I too take the extra time and little effort to stoop over, pick it up, find those four words, and give thanks to God. I may never achieve the riches that the executive in the story obtained, but together we share the greatest treasure of all together...our faithful and loving God. I encourage you to keep a sharp lookout for these orphaned coins. God has a message for you...if you'll only take the time to hear it. Happy hunting...