Friday, January 19

Free Fries...


As I was leaving a local convenience store this morning, I was hailed by an elderly black lady navigating with the aid of a cane slowly across the parking lot in my direction. "Do you work here sir," she asked. "No ma'am," I replied. She then began her earnest appeal for help. "I've just come from the doctor's office and I need to catch the bus back to town. I'd don't have any money..." "How much will it cost?" I inquired. "$3.00," she replied. That sounded rather expensive to me, but since I haven't ridden any sort of public transportation since I was in elementary school, I had no basis on which to refute her. I looked in my wallet and saw a single dollar bill and two five dollar bills. "Here's five," I said. Her face lit up in appreciation and she invoked God's blessings on me for being so generous. She then proceeded to walk slowly across the street toward another convenience store...not toward the bus stop. As she enter the store my thoughts turned to misgiving. "Had my wish to be of help produced generosity that was unwarranted? Had she lied to me? Had I been taken advantage of? " Maybe...maybe not. I decided that even though I gave her more money than she requested, perhaps she had even greater needs than my five dollars would begin to meet. "I did what I did and I'll let God determine the best outcome," I decided. Normally that would be the end of the story. A good deed delivered and then forgotten.

Before returning to my office, my stomach reminded me that I was hungry. I decided to stop by my favorite burger establishment and pick up a little lunch. Remembering that I had somewhat depleted my available cash, I determined that I would also have to modify my usual "large whatever." I opted for a fish sandwich and a small fry, knowing that I'd have just enough money to cover the order. When the food was placed in my "to go" bag, I discovered that my order of fries was missing. I looked on the sales ticket and also noticed that the fries had not been included. I mentioned to the counter attendant that I'd like a small order of fries and that I'd be happy to pay the difference. He turned, filled up a large container of fries, handed them to me and said, "Don't worry 'bout it."

Coincidence? Good fortune? Perhaps. After all it was only an order of french fries that didn't come anywhere close to costing $5.oo. Still, even if the secular world would suggest that I was being a sentimental dupe for believing such "crap-trap," I am convinced that God was letting me know that my previous gesture of "good will" toward the lady I encountered in the parking lot had not gone unnoticed and was appreciated. I like french fries... and I'm glad God does too!