Wednesday, June 25

"Peek-A-Boo..."

Shyness, when suffered in the extreme, is a debilitating problem for many people. A person lacking self confidence may find refuge from social interaction by literally locking themselves away for the world at large, hiding within the confines of their own self imposed prison of solitude. Most medical professionals have attributed this malady to learned behavior stemming from early childhood that may be minimized or completely eradicated through a regiment of prescription stimuli and/or professional counseling. But their may be on the horizon an alternative method of treatment.


It was reported this week in London's EVENING STANDARD that scientist have discovered a natural occurring chemical in the human body that has the potential to overcome shyness. Euphemistically called the "Love Drug," the natural hormone oxytocin is produced by the female during childbirth and is believed to aid in the mother's ability to bond with her newborn. Women aren't the only members of the human species that have the ability to produce this chemical. We males do also...during sex. (It's nice to know that we are being chemically assisted in being able to actually like the person with whom we are making love.)


I don't have the problem of being shy. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that I am one of the most gregarious individuals they have ever met...and probably a few other adjectives that are less flattering to describe my personally. Reserved yes, but never shy. Put me in a room full of strangers, especially at some type of social function where everyone is dressed to impress and the last thing I want to do is place myself in the spot light. I usually hang back and observe the differing personalities in the room, waiting until I target an individual or two who are comfortable and confident in who they are. Who are free from the need to have the world carefully observe every little move they make or to have their attentive listeners slobbering uncontrollably in rapt attention at every pronouncement that comes gushing forth from their self-absorbed little corner of humanity. The person who is constantly working over time to have everyone "Look at me!" bores the crap out of me.

I am also not a particular fan of small talk. Just standing around to shoot the breeze is for me a waste of time. I struggle with this personal dislike during my weekly phone call to my Mother in North Carolina. Before calling her I sit myself down at my computer and entertain myself with Tiger Woods 2008 golf game and virtually play hole after hole as she, bless her heart, drones on and on about the weather, her neighbors, her doctor's appointments, my brother, etc., with each subject concluded with her favorite (and for me) irritating phrase, "I just don't know." Thirty minutes later I have heard again all the same news that she had relayed to me the previous week. I realize that it is therapeutic for her, but it nevertheless grates on my nerves. Being a typical male, I require and thrive on substance. Get to the point so that we can all get on with our lives. Being the dutiful son, I understand her need for conversation, repetitive as it may be, and, as a side benefit, I have become quite proficient atTiger's golf game.

No, shyness is not a condition with which I am afflicted. Reserved yes, to a conceited degree I readily admit, believing in the old adage that is if far better to keep one's mouth closed and let others assume I lack social graces than to open it and remove all doubt. Given the proper stimulus I can hold my own in any coversation. But to talk just to, as my Dad use to say, hear my head roar, I'll take a pass. I trust that I am producing sufficient personal quantities of oxytocin to keep me comfortably navigating in polite society, thank you very much. Any more and I'd probably bore the crap out of myself!


You were saying?

No comments: