Monday, June 16

"Leaving A Fatherhood Legacy..."

This past Friday an icon in television broadcasting died suddenly of a hearth attack. Tim Russert, the sixteen year host of the weekly Sunday morning Meet The Press, was only 58. His affable personality and unbiased approach to seeking and explaining the truth in the topsy-turfy arena of no-holds barred politics won him a wide and appreciative audience among a wide cross section of the American viewing public. He exuded integrity, a quiet confidence, and an obvious passion for politics without flaunting his superior intellect; rare commodities in a ratings driven industry populated by super-sized egos.

I, like many other Americans, paid homage to this man by watching the many tributes to his life and work that were presented by NBC News over the weekend. It didn't take long to learn that the man behind the smile was a genuine and transparent individual whose mind was dedicated to his profession, but his heart was dedicated to his family...especially to his son, Luke, and his Dad, Big Russ. He was and is a role model for what a father can and needs be. And as I was watching the tributes to Mr. Russert, I asked myself that if I were to pass away tomorrow would the friends who know me best, but more importantly would my 23 year old daughter Megan, speak tribute of me for having been a "good Father." Her Father's Day card presented to me yesterday gave me my answer.

"Daddy... If every little girl had a Daddy like you they would never doubt themselves or let people talk down to them or wonder what they're worth. Thank you for raising me to be strong and thank you for loving me and Momma so much and teaching me just how I deserve to be treated and loved. I am so thankful to have a Father who is such a great role model, friend, support and teacher! I Love You. Meg."

I received a number of very appreciated gifts to commemorate the day, but none were as equal in value or as priceless as Megan's words written so lovingly on my Father's Day card. It has been said that leaving behind one's worldly goods may be easily tabulated and quickly forgotten, but the legacy one leaves behind for having touched genuinely others in a meaningful, caring and loving manner shall live on for generations. Tim Russert leaves behind that type of legacy. I may not be his equal in intellect or charisma, but as a Father we are peers. For this one accomplishment I take humble pride and am thankful.

No comments: