Wednesday, April 23

"What Do You Want To Hear First...

the good news or the bad news?" These were the words that my cardiologist spoke to me at my appointment this morning as he reviewed my medical chart. I was only prepared for just "good news."


Dr. Rosenthall is considered to be one of the top heart doctors in the Tampa Bay area. I am lucky to have him. We met under less than ideal circumstances four years ago when I suffered my heart attack. He just happened to be walking through the emergency room when he was summoned to "look in" on a newly arrived patient suffering with chest pains. He confirmed what I already suspected, "Mr. Latchford, you are currently having a heart attack. That's the bad news. But the good news is that we can fix that. Here's your options..." Although he listed several, his strongest recommendation was that I be taken to surgery immediately so that he could implant a stint in my blocked vein. Who was I to argue? Two days later I was home and for the past four years have been under his careful watch care.


So the good news is that overall my heart is "strong." It appears that my recent stress test indicated that the the old ticker has years of life left it in. However...and here is where the less that good news comes in...there is some indication that I may have some muscle distress at the apex (top) of my heart that he would like to take a closer look at. Could be that it is "nothing," or it could mean that some "minor repairs may be indicated. I'll know more when I get in there for a look see. This is more of a preventative measure than anything to be overly concerned about." I am always skeptical of the word "overly." It is too opened-ended to suit me. Reminds me of when General Custer suggested to his staff officers that they ought to consider going over yon hill and see if there are any Indians lurking about. "I wouldn't be to overly concerned. I doubt we'll see anything." Well, any student of history knows how that casual assumption turned out. Still, the prudent course is to follow the good doctor's suggestion and let him see if he can find any Indians lurking in my heart.


"When would you like to perform this procedure, Doc?" I inquired. "How about tomorrow afternoon!?! My startled response..."How about we don't!?!" I then went on to explain the impossible schedule I have coming up between now and the third week in May, all related to daughter Megan's college graduation and Judi and my planned get away for our 25th wedding anniversary. "Well, I don't want us to put this off too long," replied Dr. Rosenthall. "I thought you said that you aren't too overly concerned about there being a possible problem," was my reply. "I'm not, but time is of the essence." Maybe it's just me, but not being too overly concerned and time is of the essence do not seem to square. The good doctor went on to explain that the procedure would only take a day out of my life..."one to just look around and two if it is necessary to put another stint in the effected vein." We came to an understanding that I am to schedule the procedure to occur just as soon as possible during the third week of May. "Should I be overly concerned between now and then," I asked with some trepidation. "You have my phone number handy, don't you?" Sounded to me very much like "if you run into any Indians...give me a call!"


My current state of mind? I'm not too overly concerned. I don't have the time right now to be otherwise.

No comments: