Tuesday, April 29

"Not Now!!"

Judi and I are in the middle of a two week marathon of special events and family visits. This past week we have been on the campus of the University of South Florida twice to witness an awards ceremony for daughter Megan and the installation of her boyfriend Greg as the in-coming President of the Student Government Association. Thrown into that mix was an inauguration party and another party to celebrate Meg's 23rd birthday. Greg's family from Pennsylvania have been in town all week to take part in these events and to spend time "just enjoying Florida." It has been a whirlwind. Tomorrow evening my stepson, his girlfriend and our two granddaughters arrive to attend Megan's graduation on Friday evening and to spend 10 days "just enjoying Florida" as well. I'm glad somebody is enjoying Florida. For Judi and me it has been pure work.


We have been living in our home here in St. Petersburg for almost 24 years. During all of those years the enclosed front of our home has served as a "catch-all" space for anything and everything that couldn't be conveniently stored in our attic or garage. It has become so crammed full of stuff that even our two cats have been reluctant to venture into that space. So, my dear Judi decided that now was the prefect time to "tackle that mess and make some sort of sense out of it so the grandchildren will have some place fun to play." Bless her heart, she's been at that moumental task for the past three days. I came home last evening from work and she looked like she'd been sharecropping...covered in dust and grime from head to toe.


Not wanting me to miss out on all of the fun, she suggested"Before the kids arrive, I think the yard could use a mowing." Looked fine to me, but I've learned many years ago that she has some sixth sense that I do not possess that sees a thing that needs done to which I am obviously oblivious. One does not just sit down in our home when Momma is busy and expect to be left alone in peace. Sharing the wealth of productive endeavors is a gift she amply wishes to bestow on anyone who is otherwise not so engaged. So, I drag out the lawnmower and set about the task of power clipping the grass perhaps a quarter inch lower...only to have Murphy's Law visit...the mower quit when I was only half way through with the front yard. No amount of tinkering, kicking, or swearing could convince this piece of machinery to spring into action again so that our yard didn't look like the goats had gone on strike. The lawnmower is now in the repair shop for what I hope is only a minor tune up. The yard is only half mowed and our family is due on Wednesday. I guess it is the sling-blade for me. And, by-the-way, our ice maker quit making ice last evening. As daughter Megan has often said, "God looked down on me and said, 'I hate you!'" I'm thinking that might be a real possibility. No doubt about it...just enjoying Florida is the life for me.

No comments: