Wednesday, April 2

"Still An Uphill Climb..."

I seem to have devolved into one of those rare moods where I am finding it difficult to become personally motivated about anything. I attribute my current lingering lethargy with my inability thus far to fully recover from my most recent struggle to get past becoming ill with some strain of the flu that has literally laid me low. What physical strength I seem to recoup from a good night's rest, by mid-day has abandoned me completely. Even now I could crawl into the corner of my office and be soundly asleep in five minutes. At least my coughing fits have subsided significantly. There for a while I was convinced that I would never again be able to take a deep breath without convulsing. I suppose that with each passing day I am slowly returning to some semblance of full health. I keep telling myself that anyway.


Last evening Judi and I began our spring session of Dynamic Marriage. Six of the original enrolled couples were in enthusiastic attendance. We lost the one couple that we were most concerned about...the couple that is on the verge of divorce. I received an apologitic email from the lady yesterday morning stating that it didn't appear at this time they could participate in the course. Judi and I just scratched our collective heads when we read this. Just when would be the best time for this couple to do whatever may be left for them to explore and try in order to save their marriage from the waste dump? Have they come to accept their current pain to be more palatable than the effort it would require to face their individual inadequacies and to mutually work to reconcile? Have they decided to just let fate take its course and let their self-proclaimed wreck of a marriage slip once and for all over the cliff to its final destruction? Both profess that not to be the case, but what else are we to believe? They are awash in a turbulent sea, flailing desperately to keep their heads above water, both clinging to and repelling each other, unable or more likely unwilling to grasp at the driftwood that is within their reach that could save them from the doom they have resigned themselves to accept as inevitable. Sad. So unnecessarily sad.


Maybe that is why I am feeling less than my usual enthusiastic self. Human tragedy comes in many guises. When it is needlessly self-inflicted I can but shake my head in sad wonderment. And though I constantly ask myself "why" I have no answer. God never intended any of his children to be unhappy, but unhappy many are. I wish it were not so. For the six couples who are enrolled in the Dynamic Marriage course and are embracing all the blessings God intends their unions to be, we are indeed thankful. Happiness is a choice. Love is a choice. We are thankful that we can show at least these six couples that these best choices can last a life time. I'm feeling better already...

No comments: