Wednesday, October 17

"Eudaemonism"

A regional grocery store chain, formerly recognized for eons as Kash-N-Karry, has undergone in recent years a metamorphosis and re-emerged under the new corporate logo, "Sweetbay." I was never enamored with the moniker Kash-N-Karry, believing it was most likely coined by a collection of otherwise bored ad-men who placed a wad of potential name brands in a hat and the name Kash-N-Karry won by default. Perhaps "Sweetbay" survived such a similar process. Sounds a "little lite in the loafers" to suit me. "Hey Burt...why don't you run down to Sweetbay and pick us up a couple of six packs of beer?" Just doesn't have quite the same manly ring to it. But I digress...


Not only did the name change, but the entire corporate image underwent a major face lift with completely revamped interiors designed to invoke, I suppose, the ambiance of a country store of old. On the whole, the improvements make for a much more enjoyable "shopping experience." Not that I put much stock into that type of purposeful allure, as I'm usually in my neighborhood store just long enough to find the milk and cookies. Keep all the food stuff in the same location from week to week and I'm generally satisfied.


One of the neat little nuances that I've learned to appreciate is to give all the employees name tags that have an inquiry printed just below their names. "Ask me about..?" Some have the expected, "my children, my grandchildren, my dog, etc." One young man who waits on me frequently wishes customers to ask him about "Football." Devion and I have become accustomed to now conversing for a few moments about the exploits of various college football teams. His face lites up with a warm smile when he gets to expound on his football theories and predictions. I like this "getting to know me" approach to customer service. It adds an always needed and appreciated human touch to what otherwise would be a very sterile and predictable interaction.


On recent forays into this establishment I have been "checked out" by a new female college-aged cashier who has the following "Ask Me" question on her name tag. "Ask Me About The Word for The Day." Being somewhat of an amature etymologist myself and pretty sure I would recognize and be able to define whatever word she offered, I was naturally intrigued to discover her daily offering. The word was "eudaemonism." She stumped me. She has stumped me several times since. Now when I am on my frequent milk and cookies run, I look forward to her attempts to stump me yet another time. Sweetbay may not be the name I would have selected to identify this grocery chain, but it has a few interesting wrinkles that one wouldn't expect to make the "shopping experience" even more so.


The definition of "eudaemonism?" You can look it up. It's in your friendly Funk & Wagnel.

No comments: