Friday, February 29

"Three For February..."

Books that is...that I've read....this month. I am a voracious but sporadic reader with an eclectic taste for all types of reading materials. Heretofore not very disciplined in my reading habits, I set a goal for myself to read at least one book per month for the entire year. Last month I read one, but this month I knocked down three. So I'm either really ahead of my goal or it will all average out over the course of the year.


Why read? Obviously for the added knowledge (and entertainment) I derive by doing so. Secondly, because I have found that reading with a critical eye toward style and composition has, or at least I hope it has, made me a better writer. I haven't decided whether the ability too write well is a natural tendency for some people or a learned, acquired skill. Probably a combination of both with a heavier emphasis on the latter. I just know that I often in my personal reading recognize and appreciate a well turned phrase and try to duplicate same in my writing efforts by critically reviewing my expressed thoughts with a determination to state each in a manner that is refreshing, if not occasionally unorthodox. I certainly do not wish for my musings to be overly weighty, but I do intend for them to be more entertaining and illuminating than the white pages of one's phone book. Whether or not I am thus successful lies with the reader. So far, no complaints...yet.


To the point...at last. Three books that I consumed this month were Coach Tony Dungy's Quiet Strength, Hoodwinked (more about this very illuminating and disturbing book in a future blog entry), and The History of Air Force One. Air Force was an entertainingly quick read wherein not only was the history of each of the different types of aircraft utilized throughout past administrations highlighted, but the relaxed behavioral and unique habits of each of the Presidents that flew on Air Force One, who regarded this special aircraft not only as the symbol of America's strength and influence, but their refuge from their burdensome day-to-day duties and responsibilities as the recognized "most powerful man on earth." From Roosevelt to George W., each President expressed great reverence for this very special aircraft. A good read...


Quiet Strength documents the life of the current coach of the NFL's Indianapolis Colts, from his early childhood up and through when the Colts won the Super Bowl Championship in 2006. Coach Dungy is still loved at revered in the Tampa Bay, he being the former head coach of the Buccaneer's pro football team. This most inspirational book is about this man of great faith in God, who having lost his eldest son to suicide, never wavered from his belief that his creator continued to hold him and his family within the palms of His loving hands. His book shows a life being well lived through steadfast principles, practices, and priorities that is worthy of everyone to emulate regardless of one's degree of faith.


Talent is God-given; be thankful.
Praise is man-given; be humble.
Conceit is self-given; be careful.
Dave Driscoll


Coach Dungy lives his life based on these truisms. His life shines among men for doing so. I could not do much better than to not also live my life in the same manner.

No comments: