Thursday, June 21

Insomniacs...Arise!!



Wide awake at two a.m. again! Seems like this is getting to be more and more of a pattern. I climbed into bed around 11:30 last night convinced that I would have no difficulty drifting off to sleep. Wrong. It's really starting to get on my nerves. Seems like no matter what I try to do to induce sleep, the mere act of will power to do so defeats me every time. I read somewhere that if you worry about falling asleep to quit worrying. This type of inane advice is about as useless as telling as person that has just struck their thumb with a hammer that, "It'll feel a lot better once it quits hurting." Well...no kidding Sherlock!!


Not that this difficulty occurs every night, but often enough that I'm growing tired (pardon the pun) of the frequency. I can be watching the late night news and am aware that my eyelids are growing heavy. Switch off the TV and I'm instantly wide awake. Even if I put on the timer...when the TV turns itself off, it turns me back on! Reading a book, I find myself unable to focus. Turn off the light and "I'm good to go" to read another ten chapters. Frustrated doesn't quite describe my utter sense of frustration.


I envy our two adult house cats. These two creatures have the uncanny ability to fall fast asleep at any time and in any place...and they do so the majority of their days and nights. I'm thinking that these felines are revealing to me an important lesson. Their existence comprises little more strenuous activity than to lounge around all day. In other words, they are permanently retired. They have no stress in their lives...no responsibilities other than to occasionally take sustenance, visit their litter box, and keel over from apparent exhaustion. I should have such a life!


Perhaps in a few more years I too can adopt such a life style when I retire from the work-a-day world. No need to set the alarm, or check my appointment book, or worry about the work still remaining to be accomplished in my "In Box." Just take on sustenance as required, visit the litter box when the occasion demands, and keel over from exhaustion.


In the mean time I'm in desperate need of sleep. Pardon me while I go lie down. Keep your fingers crossed. I am.

No comments: