Monday, February 2

"Perhaps Some Good News..."

Today I had an interview for a job! As bad is the economy is, such a pronouncement is not unlike saying "Today I walked out into my backyard and found a hundred dollar bill!" Fat chance!!


A dear friend of mine has recently joined an established company in the area as one of their newly reorganized corporate officers. He apparently told the boss that he knew "a guy who walks on water" and would be "just perfect" for a particular position in the company that currently is being held by an individual who, according to my friend, "couldn't pour water out of a bucket and hit the ground!" Of course that's only one man's opinion. I've never met this fellow with such terrible aim, but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. It sounds like it is about to cloud up and rain all over him.

I have mixed emotions about my possibly being hired to replace this fellow. I'm betting that he thinks he is doing an adequate job, and probably believes that his position is secure. Maybe he has a family and if and when the axe falls eventually, his outlook on life is going to suddenly turn precarious at best. Granted, I haven't been tapped to take over his office and responsibilities, but in my heart I wish that it could be a win/win for everyone involved.


One would have to possess a heart of stone or have become callously immune to the ever increasing reports of layoffs that are a daily doses of reality for more and more people...wherein each job lost represents an individual whose hopes and dreams have now been interrupted with chaotic uncertainty. Having been in that boat for six months and counting, I emphasize with their plight. In these days of national economic turmoil, the only thing assured is the uncertainty of tomorrow.

If I am offered a position with this company, I most certainly will be thankful, but I'll keep a prayer on my lips for the gentleman whose place I unceremoniously usurped. I do not take lightly the fact that he shall be entering a place which I am only to glad to leave. Wish us both well.

No comments: