Thursday, September 13

Bra Or No Bra? Good Question...

As general rule I tend to shy away from subject matters that may be considered to be a bit too risque. But I have decided that since the self-proclaimed King of Conservatism, Rush Limbaugh, devoted an entire fifteen minute segment to this subject on one of his recent radio broadcast, the subject matter is fair game. The topic of his discourse was the recent study strongly suggesting that women who wear bras as a rule stand a much greater chance of contracting breast cancer then the segment of the populace that do not.


Please let me assure you that I do not take this observation lightly. Google any combination of the words bras and breast cancer and a veritable plethora of menu choices lay at your disposal for further in depth research. My personal "in depth research" on the matter leads me to accept the conclusion that the female mammaries are best left unencumbered. (Why do I hear a persistent voice in my head saying, "Here! Here!") As I was saying, before I was so rudely interrupted, according to the published research the female breast were never intended to be encased in any type of restrictive garment, as such constraints drastically restrict normal and free lymphatic "movement." Women-kind evolved under conditions where there was by nature breast movement induced with every step they made walking or running. "Every bounce of the breasts while moving in any manner, gently massages the breast and increases lymphatic flow, thus cleanses the breasts of toxins and waste that arise from cellular metabolism." Makes perfectly good sense to me.

I don't know if it is women who adopt these rules of dress, or we men who have had a participatory role, or a combination of both. Probably the latter. Yet, I can't think of any reason why men would insist that women wear shoes that although fashionably flattering, nevertheless painfully restrict the foot. Why do that if the result is your feet hurt after wearing the latest shoe fashion for a mere ten minutes? To pinch, tuck, bundle, and pluck one's body in the name of conforming to some unwritten social norm seems counterproductive at best.

Having said the above, I am not suggesting that from this point forward that all women are to throw all caution to the wind and socially interact with their breast totally exposed to view. Indigenous African natives may have cultural license to do so, but such liberties in our polite society would, thankfully, dictate otherwise. Still one cannot, with the preponderance of scientific evidence accumulated on the subject, argue that modern-day women might seriously consider hanging up their braziers once and for all. (There's that voice in my head again!) It certainly would make for interesting Wednesday evening choir practices!

No comments: