Wednesday, March 26

"There Is A Remote Possibility...

that I will live." It's been a tough go these past couple of days, but with copious amounts of soup and handfuls of pharmaceuticals, I think I'm on the road to recovery from my bout with the flu. Sunday night, what little sleep I did succumb to, was done so in a sitting up position. Moving from that very uncomfortable position in any directions instantly sent my body into convulsive coughing. My dear wife sleep soundly through these episodes, which shouldn't amaze me, but does nonetheless. Several times I was truly convinced that I was in the process of hacking up a lung and all she did was to roll over and sigh. But let there be even the slightest unusual sound emulating from the far reaches of our home and she is instantly alertly awake. "Honey!! Did you heard that!?!" Groggily I respond, "Give me a clue and I'll see if I'm close."


Yesterday I had my job interview. If I looked half as bad as I felt, I'm sure that these potential employers were instantly on the phone after my departure contacting the local Haz-Mat team. I'm probably not the first, but I doubt that there are very many others who are either bold enough or stupid enough to participate in a job interview in the company of their own frequently employed box of Kleenex. They would ask a question and I would blow my nose before responding. Got to be quite comical for me...perhaps annoying to them. Nevertheless, I had the added advantage of knowing the proprietors of this particular company for many years, and initially it was like "old home week" before we finally got down to the business of me telling them what I wanted in order for them to have the privilege of yours truly joining their employ. I think the suggestion that I be provided a chauffeured-drive limousine will be pretty much considered a perk I can do without. The membership to the local country club would be nice...as would a decent paycheck every week. We'll see. They promised to contact me the first part of next week. Not putting all my eggs in this basket, but it is nice to know that I was able to get a favorable job prospect just after receiving my notice of termination.


Last evening Judi and I conducted our scheduled orientation session for our up-coming eight week Dynamic Marriage course. We had six couples in attendance. Judi did all of the explaining and I interjected as much as my sniffling and coughing would permit. We have couples who have been married but a few months and up to twenty years. One particular couple is coming to this course as a last resort to save their very troubled marriage, both having their divorce papers ready to file...but both wishing sincerely to save their marriage if at all possible. The male in this union told me that they had previously been to eight other counseling services, many conducted by PHD's. "They didn't do anything for us...just asked questions. We need much more than opinion." Dynamic Marriage asks questions too, but it also makes the participants work to find the answers and remedies to their issues. Hopefully, their taking this course will give them renewed hope and reasons to destroy those divorce papers.


Looks like my heavy dose of cold medication is wearing off. Breathing is beginning to become labored again. Guess I'll call it a day and head off to the barn for another dose of "This'll make you feel better." Normally I wouldn't be so quick to vacate my office post, but based on the recent announcement that my office will have it lights turn off permanently in the next few weeks...let's just say my usual loyalty and allegiance to my employer is anything but brimming over. What's he gonna do? Threaten me with termination? I already own the T-shirt!

No comments: