Friday, August 24

So Far...So Good...

As a general rule I'm not a superstitious individual. Neither black cats or ladders along my path give me any pause. I believe that events generally transpire as they naturally unravel in the due course of time. That having been said I am not one to unnecessarily tempt fate and I am not above occasionally whistling in the dark just to hedge my bets. As tropical storm Dean gathered ever increasing strength on his western journey toward undetermined landfall, not only was I whistling a breathless melody I could faintly detect similar tunes being sent heavenward among thousands of wary residents along our nations southern coastlines.

According to the weather prognosticators, we are entering the statistical height of the hurricane season. Thus far we've had two hurricanes of note, Barry and Dean. Barry was a welcomed "rain maker" for drought stricken Florida, and Dean, an eventual category 5 monster, remained far to our south. The whistling has stopped...for now. Still we have then entire months of September, October and November to keep an ever watchful eye turned toward the outer fringes of the eastern Caribbean. September is the month of most concern for we Floridians. Come October and November we are pretty much out of the woods for another year. So, I am a little reluctant to celebrate our good fortune thus far knowing that Mother Nature can turn an otherwise uneventful hurricane season into a calamity of devastating proportions. The old saying, "Waiting for the other shoe to drop" applies here. We have approximately ninety days to go in the current season and none of us living astride the 1,197 miles of highly vulnerable Florida coastlines are willing to look over our shoulders to see what may be looming on the horizon.


Come to think of it, I have again developed a sudden urge to whistle. Won't you join me? What can it hurt?

No comments: