Monday, May 14

I Have...For 24 Years


In October of 1982 I met my second wife to be, Judi. She and her then nine year old son, Christopher, had joined the First United Methodist Church of Pinellas Park, Florida that same Sunday, the church I had been compelled by God to visit for the first time as I was driving past it on my way to work earlier in the week. We have for our entire married life together been in wholehearted agreement that it was indeed God, not chance, that brought us together.


Was it "love at first sight?" No, but it certainly was attraction, on my part, at first sight. Judi was initially, at best, ambivalent concerning our first encounter, and remained so for many weeks following that first meeting. Nevertheless, I remained persistent in my steady pursuit of this fair and beautiful lady, winning first son Christopher to my side as a staunch ally. Unless one has an outward demeanor of a convicted axe murdered, the way to a woman's heart is through the love of their children. Still, it was tough-sledding for the first few months of our rather lukewarm relationship. It wasn't until Chris left to spend his Christmas break vacation from school with his father in Maryland, that I was able to wrangle my first "real date." I invited her to dinner. Her mother's fateful words still ring in her ears, "Go ahead and have dinner with him... You don't have to marry him." The dye was cast from that first date forward.

I somehow managed not to make a complete fool of myself on our first "official date," as she later told me that she found me to be "humorous and charming." Must have been a God-thing. The first date lead to a second, then a third, and we began to spend more and more time together. The marriage proposal came on Super Bowl Sunday at Seminole Park. She said "yes" in plenty of time for us to get home to watch "the game." One must maintain one's priorities, don't you know.

We were married 24 years ago today.

It hasn't been all sweet music and roses, but we have hung in there together through the greatest of memorable times and through times when we were not sure we were going to continue forward as a couple. But we never lost sight of the bedrock understanding and firm belief that God brought us together. Our blessings have included among so many a truly beautiful and remarkable 22 year old daughter, Megan, and two-beautiful granddaughters, courtesy of our son Christopher. We have much to be truly thankful for, but I am most thankful that on that October day in 1982 I heeded God's directive and attended worship services at the Pinellas Park Methodist Church. On May 14, 1983 I said "I do" and I have been forever thankful for having said those words that have continued to echo in my mind for the past 24 years. I love you Judi.

No comments: