Monday, April 9

An Easter Birthday...


April 8th, 1948. My Birth Date. April 8th, 2007. My 59th Birthday. Cool!!


The celebration of my personal birthdays have not been very high on my list of things to make a big fuss over. They just are. They come and go pretty much like any other day. I don't like anyone to make a big fuss over my birthday. It's not that I have an aversion to getting older. That would be like having an aversion to breathing. It is something that just happens and you get kind of use to it. I've learned to live with breathing on a regular basis and having birthdays on a regular basis. It is what it is...
Yesterday's "celebration," however, was unique. My two 6 and 4 year old granddaughters were in attendance and helped blow out the candles on my birthday cake. For them it was a bigger deal than it was for me. But because they got such a kick out of sitting on Papa's lap while we together extinguished the candles, that made it a fun experience for me as well. Of course, everything was recorded for prosperity by my loving wife, who deems it absolutely essential that such milestone occasions be documented. I suppose it is possible that sometime in the future that this particular event will be viewed by my grandchildren's children in order to introduce them to their great grandfather...long departed and only vaguely remembered. So be it. If those great grandchildren only capture the sense of love and happiness that was in the room that day, then it will be an object lesson well worth recording.
Now I have 365 days left before I obtain yet another notable milestone along my personal life's journey...turning 60! I remember when I turned 50 and received a personal letter from the AARP. I laughed. Perhaps for my 60th birthday they will send a limousine and take me on a preview tour of the nicer nursing homes in the area. If they serve drinks and let me smoke my cigars, I'll probably go along for the ride. Do I dread turning 60? Not in the slightest. It will be just another day that the Lord has granted me for which I will be thankful. Every day is a gift. And all those loved ones who populate my life make each day that God grants me breath on this earth a birthday celebration each and every day. Cool!!

No comments: